- SELF REPORT 4 - Teaching Practice

 Teaching Practice 


4.1 Procedures of teaching  

After I did my observation, it's time to start practice teaching. First, my mentor teacher gave me the topic and I study about the topic. After that, I make the lesson plan and I gave it to my mentor so she can check it. Next, I prepare the media for my teaching such as powerpoint presentations, videos, games, etc. I continued to teach to my students. After teaching, we had a post-conference with my coordinator teacher regarding the way I teach and she can give me comment, advice, or ask me to revise the lesson plan.

4.2 Time Management and Organizing Activities

In  NEUST Laboratory High School they had a 2-hour class and 1 hour in one day. I taught Aristotle class for 2 hours in the morning and 1 hour in the afternoon. For 2 hours class, I divide into 2 sections for activities, evaluation and also assignment. This is how I do time management in my classroom :


Pray and Checking attendance = 5 minutes
Review last lesson: 10 minutes
A quiz about the last lesson: 10 minutes
Motivation: 5 minutes
Discussion: 60 minutes
Application: 10 minutes
Generalization: 5 minutes
Evaluation: 15 minutes

Total: 120 minutes ( 2 hours)


4.3 Problem – Solving 

During my teaching practice, I had a problem with time management. I can’t arrange my time during class. I always finish the lesson over time that makes another teacher waiting for me outside. Because the student asks many things with me ( They know that we are a foreign student). After class, my mentor teacher taught me how to manage my time. She asks me to put my phone or watch on the table and told me to check the time during teaching. She also gave me the advice to write down the time management table so I’m not going to have over time. Another problem is I have to teach English Literature. I have to practice and discuss with my mentor teacher and my buddies regarding the topic. Of course, I should mastered it before I teach my students.


4.4 Classroom Management

When I observe the Grades 9 Archimedes Section, the students are very noisy and difficult to handle. The only way to control them and make them participate in my class is by giving them a reward like a bar of chocolate or candy. At first, I will make an agreement with them in my classroom if they participate enough and active I give them a reward. So they feel motivated and active in my class.

Comments